DVP048 Exodus 33:17-20 (February 17)

17 And the LORD said to Moses, "This very thing that you have spoken I will do, for you have found favor in my sight, and I know you by name."

18 Moses said, "Please show me your glory."
19 And he said, "I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name 'The LORD.' And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.
20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live."


Do you think that God would have granted any request that Moses made? Of course not! Moses knew God and wanted to know him more, and this holy desire was what prompted his request. If our desires are for God then we will be asking for the things that are pleasing to God. We will know what the will of God is and our petitions will seek God's will to be done. How then could God refuse!

God's will is that his glory is seen and his name is honoured. In this instance, God's glory is shown to us as his "goodness" and that he is gracious and merciful to those of his choosing. God does not have to forgive our sins, and for many he will not as they will refuse to admit their wickedness. It is up to us to beg for forgiveness and if God decides that he will be merciful to us we will see that forgiveness.

The absolute glory of God in the very face of God is too great for man to see and live. That should amaze us! How much more do we need to learn of God to be able to even comprehend his glory!


The English Standard Version (ESV)

“Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.”
www.esv.org