DVP090 Judges 14:16 (March 31)

And Samson's wife wept over him and said, "You only hate me; you do not love me. You have put a riddle to my people, and you have not told me what it is." And he said to her, "Behold, I have not told my father nor my mother, and shall I tell you?"

Samson is the famous Judge of Israel who had great physical strength. He was also (unfortunately) famous for being led astray by his lustful desire for women, and those women were typically not of Israel, but Philistines.

At his wedding feast for the first woman, she betrayed a secret of his to her people and proved that her loyalties were not with her husband. Samson slew these Philistines and left his wife.

Samson was weak (though he was strong physically), and if only he could see this in himself he would have served God better. The same is true for us. To avoid the trap of being overly proud of our strengths, we need to take stock of our moral weaknesses so that they don't cause us to fall. We must be diligent in our sanctification and Christian growth because if we leave it to happen by chance we will end up in a mess the same as Samson.

< DVP089 Judges 8:33-34 (March 30) | DVP091 Judges 16:4-5 (April 1) >

The English Standard Version (ESV)

“Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.”
www.esv.org